DIY Lightbox Project

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

As i was browsing thru the postings in ShutterAsia forum, I came across and interesting article by one of the forumer. He had done a lightbox and posted some sample pictures. Seeing this, I was inspired to do my own lightbox.

Materials Needed

  • White Light Bulbs
  • Cardboard boxes
  • White paper (I used manila card)
  • Aluminium foil
  • Craft blades, marker pen, masking tape, double sided tape
:::.. Material Needed for the DIY Lightbox Project ...:::

:::... Another view of the materials needed ...:::

:::.. Found this old cardboard box lying around in the office. The lights would be placed inside this box ...:::

:::... Remove the top and punch a hole for the light bulb ...:::

:::... View of the hole made to accommodate the light bulb ...:::

:::... Line the inside of the box with aluminum foil ...:::

:::... View of the light source once the bulb is in place ...:::

:::... Remove the top of the bigger box to make the mini studio ...:::

:::... Line the inside of the bigger box with white paper. Careful not to dirty the paper as it will reflect on the pictures taken later ...:::

:::... The completed setup ...:::

I am not quite satisfied with the lightbox as yet. One thing that I noticed is that the lights are not quite bright enough. For this setup, I used 2 units of 8W bulbs. I think I would have to change the bulbs to a higher Watt. I am also thinking of adding additional light on top of the box, so that I would be getting 3 light source instead of two. I also plan to to cover the whole box in with white paper. Maybe that would help to reflect the lights more.

Stay tuned for more updates on this project. Here is a sample shot taken. No PP done except for resizing and placing the watermark.

Nikon D60 + Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 @ 55 mm — Aperture Priority, f/5.6, ISO 100

2 comments:

Anonymous December 10, 2008 at 1:02 PM  

When I was glancing through the post, I thought you need an adsl modem to do a lightbox. lol

Anonymous December 10, 2008 at 7:35 PM  

omg??? i used philips for my light box too! except mine's 18W (cool daylight). i wanted the 23W but my boyfriend managed to stop me :D

halogen lights would be even brighter though that might interfere with some birds' flight patterns haha.

plus, i cut out 3 sides of the box and pasted white paper over the holes. then the light is placed outside the box and directed as needed. makes more sense to me cos there'd be more room in it :)

About This Blog

eXTReMe Tracker

  © Free Blogger Templates Nightingale by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP